Biertan is one of the first German settlements in Transylvania placed between the two “Seats” (Medias and Seica) in the Andreean Diploma from 1224.
The first attestation of its name has been certified since 1283,in a document about the taxes demanded by the Catholic Capital from Alba Iulia to the Catholic priests from the Transylvanian Saxon communities.
As any other Transylvanian Saxon Community, it had an urban organization, being noticed the franconic style of the rows of houses around the central square overlooked by a grandiose fortress-church.
Accomodations in Biertan: UNGLERUS Pension – 3 daysies(stars)
This building was restaured in a medieval style in 2006 partly with SAPARD funds. The accomodation capacity is 32 places in 2 building parts.